When we talk about paraphilia we mean permanent (or long-term) sexual interest.
This post is part of the series “Dare to ask”, if you want to ask something about this theme, you can leave a comment or write me an e-mail. We can talk about your questions more extensively also in therapy or counselling.
Paraphilias are sexual arousal disorders. They are not in themselves mental disorders and many of them can be fulfilled safely and consensually. A person with a criminalized paraphilia is not automatically a criminal unless they realize their interest.
Paraphilias include e.g.
- Frotteurism: sexual satisfaction is accomplished by rubbing themselves against other people. Can be satisfied legally and safely when consensus is found.
- Coprophilia: excrements are the object of sexual interest and pleasure. Can be satisfied in legal and harmless ways.
- Necrophilia: The subject of sexual satisfaction are corps. Cannot be realized legally in real life.
- Pedophilia: a person experiences sexual attraction to prepubescent children. May or may not be exclusive. The importance of preventive work is fundamental. The satisfaction of this paraphilia is a severe crime.
- Voyeurism: Sexual gratification is realized by watching other people undress or engage in sexual activity. It is easy to realize in legal and harmless ways.
- Zoophilia: a person experiences sexual attraction to animals. Cannot be satisfied legally or safely in real life.